- About the College
- My Role
- Sample Performances
About the College:
Beaconhills College was established in 1982 in Melbourne’s south-eastern suburbs. Beaconhills is an independent, open-entry, co-educational Christian school with two campuses in Berwick and Pakenham. The College was founded through the vision of local Anglican and Uniting Church leaders.
Our five sub-schools from Early Learning through to Year 12 are designed give a smaller community feel. Students always feel part of their school ‘family’.
This sense of community is one of our key strengths and defines our College. So too does our diverse and innovative curriculum, our global outlook and emphasis on caring for others both locally and abroad. The College was founded on Christian principles, which underpin all of our programs and how we care for students.
About my Role: (1.0 FTE)
Maternity Leave Replacement Contract
Commenced 13/9/17. Finished 25/1/21.
- Teach Classroom Music to students in Grades 5-7 (0.5 FTE)
- Teach Piano to students in Grades 2-12 (Started as 0.2FTE but grew to 0.5FTE in 6 months)
- Played the integral ‘Keys 1’ part for the College Production of ‘The Little Mermaid’
- Acted as rehearsal pianist Wednesdays 3.30-5.00pm for the same show.
- Co-Ordinated and trained the Keyboard section of the Show orchestra for the production.
- Filled many accompanying roles for Instrumentalists, Ensembles and Soiree nights,
- Trained and Performed with the Grade 2 Choir.
- Served as advisor and Support for the Director of Music and Head of Performing Arts
- Undertook Grade 6 Sport Classes in a team teaching environment. Refereed Matball and Rounders Matches with other participating Primary Schools.
- Coached Grade 6 Boys and Girls Interschool Soccer teams in a round robin competition
- Coached Intermediate (years 9 and 10) Girls SEISA (South East Independent Schools Association) Soccer team for a competition in term 3.
- Participated in a wilderness hike with year 8’s as part of the Beaconhills Outdoor Education Program (Grampians, Victoria).
Key Initiatives and Successes.
- Trained the Grade 2 Choir to provide outstanding and engaging performances at assemblies throughout 2018 through rigorous but fun rehearsal techniques, extensive use of Kodaly and student conductor/soloist mentoring, quickly rendering this choir as one of the Junior School’s most sought after Performance Ensembles. Sample Performances:
- Grade 2 Choir Performance – Bookweek assembly, June, 2018. Performing ‘Good Night’ – Russian Folk Song (2 part). I played accompaniment for this performance. Note the difference in this choir between this performance and the one below 2 months later.
Grade 2 Choir Performance – August 2018. Performing ‘Don Gato’. I trained the Choir and played accompaniment for this performance. The improvement in Pitch, tone, clarity, technique, expression and overall confidence in this choir is evident in the 3 months from the first video. Note also the use of Keyboard Soloist and Student Conductor in this performance.
Keys 1 setup, Show poster, Ariel, Score, Show Orchestra, the little Mermaid 2018.
Promotional Performance of the ‘If Only’ Quartet, from the Little Mermaid: Senior assembly, Beaconhills College. I provided the piano accompaniment for this event.
“Grant leaves us, as a classroom teacher of Year 5 and 6 at the end of the school year. Grant has played a major role during his time at Beaconhills College. His leadership of the keyboard section in The Little Mermaid was pivotal to the musical success of the show. I thank Grant, sincerely for this. Elizabeth Sutherland returns to the Berwick Campus following her Maternity Leave in 2019.”
Director of Music,
Beaconhills College. Berwick Campus.