I grew up in Rural NSW in a coal mining area strong in English/Welsh heritage. From an early age I was introduced to the cornet as part of the town’s Municipal Brass Band. This continued right through my formative education. As part of the local Primary and High schools I was part of the Concert Band and Orchestras, culminating in a tour of NZ when I was 15. When my teaching career started in earnest I was Conductor of Tuggeranong Community Band (ACT), and Bandmaster at Kerang Citizens Band for 2 years. I taught Brass instruments during several during my career. When living in East Gippsland I conducted mass band community events. In recent years I played in various community concert bands and orchestras, including Cranbourne Lions and Chelsea Concert Bands. I conducted the high Profile City of Casey Showcase in 2015. From 2000-2011 I developed the Flinders College from 1 concert band in 2000 to 11 Concert Bands and Stage Ensembles, winning many awards at the Melbourne School Bands Festival. In summary:
- Formative education spent in Brass, Concert bands and Orchestras with a touring profile
● Musically Directed community and Brass Bands
● Conducted the Prestigious City of Casey showcase 2015
● Taught Brass Instruments with success in State and Independent Schools
● Grew the Concert Band Program at Flinders College from 1-11 ensembles in 10 years (2000-2010).
● Have been asked to conduct the Cranbourne Lions Concert Band on a permanent basis in 2019.
● I can also play Concert band and Orchestral percussion Instruments.
● I also have serviceable knowledge of all woodwind instruments, invaluable when conducting a concert band
Over the years my ensembles have won various awards, including Melbourne School Bands festival. Regular high profile performances, I believe, are essential for delivering a vibrant Ensemble culture.
String Orchestra – Conducting “St Anthony’s Chorale”,
Massed Concert Band – Conducting “Capriol Suite”, SIS Music, 2004
Massed Concert Band – Conducting “Pastime with Good Company”,
Live Performance, Flinders College Senior Concert Band, Sydney Music Tour, 2008
Jazz Ensemble, “Sesame Street”, SIS Music, 2004
Jazz Ensemble, “Big Noise from Winnetka”, SIS Music, 2004