I grew up in Rural NSW in a coal mining area strong in English/Welsh heritage. From an early age I was introduced to the cornet as part of the town’s Municipal Brass Band. This continued right through my formative education. As part of the local Primary and High schools I was part of the Concert Band and Orchestras, culminating in a tour of NZ when I was 15. When my teaching career started in earnest I was Conductor of Tuggeranong Community Band (ACT), and Bandmaster at Kerang Citizens Band for 2 years. I taught Brass instruments during several during my career. When living in East Gippsland I conducted mass band community events. In recent years I played in various community concert bands and orchestras, including Cranbourne Lions and Chelsea Concert Bands. I conducted the high Profile City of Casey Showcase in 2015. From 2000-2011 I developed the Flinders College from 1 concert band in 2000 to 11 Concert Bands and Stage Ensembles, winning many awards at the Melbourne School Bands Festival. In summary:
- Formative education spent in Brass, Concert bands and Orchestras with a touring profile
● Musically Directed community and Brass Bands
● Conducted the Prestigious City of Casey showcase 2015
● Taught Brass Instruments with success in State and Independent Schools
● Grew the Concert Band Program at Flinders College from 1-11 ensembles in 10 years (2000-2010).
● Have been asked to conduct the Cranbourne Lions Concert Band on a permanent basis in 2019.
● I can also play Concert band and Orchestral percussion Instruments.
● I also have serviceable knowledge of all woodwind instruments, invaluable when conducting a concert band
Over the years my ensembles have won various awards, including Melbourne School Bands festival. Regular high profile performances, I believe, are essential for delivering a vibrant Ensemble culture.