Please find my responses to the key selection criteria below. Thank you.
Classroom Music Teacher Early Years / Music
Burke Hall Campus
At Xavier College we aspire to form exceptional graduates through inspiring learning experiences and our distinct Jesuit character. The individual is expected to align their actions and leadership with the Intent, our Graduate qualities and the Pillars in the Xavier College Strategic Plan
Our Early Years Classroom Music Teacher
The Classroom Music Teacher will make a significant contribution to an aspirational and rigorous culture of educational and operational excellence at Xavier through their leadership offered to students, parents and all educators engaged with the Early Years Burke Hall and works in partnership with the Head of Music (3 Campus), Head of Junior School Music, the Director of Campus and other members of the campus Leadership team.
The Classroom Music teacher’s key responsibility is to teach classroom music to students predominantly in Kindergarten to Year 4 inclusive, plus have the flexibility to teach classroom up to Year 6 and class singing up to Year 8.
The role requires a collaborative and engaging mindset, with empathetic and effective actions and communication supported by good process and documentation. Quality in personal engagement and the formation of positive relationships with students, staff and parents is essential.
The Classroom Teacher will work constructively with the Head of Junior School Music to ensure an aspirational, positive and relational culture is maintained across the Burke Hall campus. This culture is centred in the understanding of cura personalis – the care of the individual – and the wider values and characteristics of Jesuit education. It is driven by the desire to promote rigorous standards of educational and operational excellence and is especially attentive to all matters of child safety.
The Classroom Teacher provides an important intersection on the Burke Hall Campus between all aspects of learning and the holistic educational programs of the College with an attentiveness to pastoral care and wellbeing. The role supports positive interactions between colleagues, giving particular attention to the Heads of Learning Areas and the Head of Faith and Service.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
The Classroom Music Teacher will:
- teach classroom music from kindergarten to Year 4 inclusive
- teach classroom music up to Year 6 if required.
- Although Secondary trained, I have effectively taught Classroom music from Grades 2-6 and feel I am equipped to teach Grades Kindergarten and one as well.
- teach repertoire appropriate for each liturgy
- assist in the musical preparation for liturgies
- I have 11 years experience in Catholic Settings preparing, rehearsing and presenting music for liturgical events. I was also associate conductor and principal accompanist for Excelsis Catholic Choir, presenting Choral liturgies for Sunday Morning Masses from 2016-18.
- prepare semester reports for each student
- In my recently completed replacement Head of Music Position at Balcombe Grammar School, I completed timely accurate formative and summative assessments for each student.
- conduct or assist with Choirs/Bands or String groups as directed by the Head of Music (3 Campus)
- (Please see separate links for Choral work below)
- accompany instrumental students and ensembles, as required (desirable but not essential)
- I have extensive skills as an accompanist in both Classical and Modern idioms, from accompanying the choirs that I conduct to professional and VCE student performances. I have performed at the Melbourne Recital Centre.
- assist or direct at concerts, recitals, workshops and music camps, as required
- support the IB PYP program through collaboration with the early years staff
- contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of the Classroom Music Curriculum
- participate in school decision-making processes and professional development activities.
- attend all scheduled staff meetings, Parent Teacher Interviews, student assemblies, staff conference days and ad hoc meetings/seminars/workshops as advised
- use Information and Communications Technologies in accordance with College expectations in regard to student/pastoral feedback, academic progress and all related matters
- maintain accurate records of student attendance
- adhere to College expectations regarding personal presentation and professional dress
- participate in Centre for Faith and Service retreat/spiritual programs and/or Outdoor Educationprograms, as required.
- undertake yard supervision as rostered
- I believe that the achievements made at my recent replacement full time Head of Music Position at Balcombe Grammar School will give valuable insight into my capacities and skillset that I will bring to your school.
- Have a knowledge of Kodaly and Orff Methodologies.
- I have current membership of KMEIA Australia, and have an excellent working knowledge of both Kodaly and Orff Methodologies, which I have used extensively in both Junior Choral conducting at Beaconhills College and in my 7 year tenure as Head Conductor and Principal accompanist for Australian Youth Choir. Please see links below for examples of my work.
For all general personal qualities associated with my general character and attitude to work, please consult the link below.
Thank you for reviewing these responses. I am happy to answer any further questions you may have. Please free to contact me as necessary. Thank you.